Budget Advice Services
Financial difficulties are one of the major stress points on family life. They contribute to family dysfunction and violence. Many of the most vulnerable families have debts to multiple creditors, including Work and Income.
A cornerstone for the wellbeing of all New Zealanders is financial stability and security. Budget services help families achieve and maintain this, by giving them the tools and knowledge they need to manage their finances better.
Family and Community Services fund the following types of budget services:
- Budget advice and planning-related activities - targeted towards individuals and families/whānau with short-term or ongoing financial management questions, concerns or difficulties.
- Budget education programmes - aimed at people already experiencing, or are likely to encounter, financial difficulty, or who simply want to learn good financial management and budgeting skills.
The long-term goals of budget services programme are to:
- encourage individuals and families to take responsibility to manage their personal financial resources in ways that enhance their own, and their families', wellbeing
- provide support to individuals, families and communities to help alleviate the harm that can arise from escalating financial problems
- increase the levels of financial knowledge and competence in the community
- build the capacity of individuals and families to identify issues and help themselves when financial difficulties arise.
For more information on budget advice
Practice guidelines for providers
Service specifications, which used to be part of the contract, have now been repackaged into easy to read guidelines. These are to be read alongside contracts as best practice ways to deliver each service.
Additional funding for budgeting services providers
Hon Paula Bennett, Minister for Social Development, has announced a one-off additional funding assistance of $1.5 million for budgeting services. This funding is being allocated to address demand in service provision.
Applications are now open and will close at 4pm on Friday 24 May.